arrow-right alert arrow-down close email arrow-up instagram phone map translate search facebook twitter    
Can't find what you're looking for?
Translate / Traduire / Übersetzen / Tłumaczyć / Išversti / Tulkot / Traducir
School Logo



Button battery advice

This Christmas, homes will be filled with light-up decorations, festive tea lights, singing Santa’s and flashing Christmas wands. But these and many other toys are powered by button batteries that can badly hurt or kill a child if swallowed.
Worryingly, many parents simply don’t know about the dangers or the wide range of products now powered by button batteries.

If your child swallows a button battery, it can get stuck in their food pipe. It can burn through to the main artery and badly harm or even kill them. This can happen very quickly.

Children aged 6 months to 4 ½ years are most at risk.

If your child does swallow a button battery DO NOT delay – Take them straight to hospital or call 999.

Please see more advice and guidance on the poster attached from the Child Accident Prevention Trust.